Subscribe with Bloglines
Get Firefox!

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 

The Two cardinal rules of Torah and Science

Gil comments today about the dangers of disregarding scienctific theory that seems incompatible with Torah due to the constantly fluctuating nature of science. He makes a good point, one which I've been saying for a long time. But the other side of the coin is equally true. Therefore, I present the 2 cardinal rules of Torah and science: 1) Don't completely reject a scientific theory that seems incompatible with Torah because if it turns out to be true, you look foolish. 2) Don't completely accept a scientific theory that seems compatible with Torah because if it turns out to be false, you look foolish. I think it is fine that people like Slifkin, Schroeder, and Aviezer attemtp to reconcile Torah and science and their works make me confident that science is moving in a positive direction, as it becomes closer to realizing the truth of Torah. But it is important to do so with a caveat...that this is only hypothesis and that the truth of Torah is orthogenal to the truth of the science being discussed. If we can shove a few cliches together: if you count your chickens before they hatch, you may paint yourself in a corner and wind up with egg on your face.

Comments:
Oh man, this is so juicy. I have to take you on for this one ! See godolhador.blogspot.com and defend yourself.
 
Mr. Hador-

When one resorts to childish name-calling, it is a sure sign of insecurity of the viability of his arguments. As I do not wish to engage in banal insult contests, you will not see a response to your post from me. Of course, I completely object to your characterization of my argument. If you would like to repost your position in a more respectful manner, I will be happy to give it its due attention.
 
>> When one resorts to childish name-calling,

Oh please, its all in good fun. Where is your sense of humor ? Now be a man and come and defend yourself. Its not like there is a lot going on here. Tee Hee. Just kidding. I was a consultant for many years and your general demeanour reminded me of my past life. No insults intended.
 
I have a sense of humor, but I reserve it for things that are funny. If you would like to update your post in such a way as to make it more respectful, I promise (b"n) to respond with a post that will enlighten my proponents (quiet though they may be) and infuriate my detractors. As I said, though, I will not be baited by name-calling.
 
OK. OK. B"N Next week I will post on this without calling you Lokshenbrains. I thought it was funny but I guess not to you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?